8 Tips to help you combat them chilly winter mornings and rise with ease.
Cold, dark mornings definitely don't make it easy for us to rise from our restful slumber and jump into the day ahead. In the colder months, I believe we must make more time for rest, slowing down the pace and being gentle with ourselves. However, it cannot be denied that life seems to be that little bit harder when you have not had a nice time waking up.
Here are 8 tips on how to get your sleepy little self up and out of bed. Hope they help!
- Set a pleasant alarm. Switch your loud blaring ringing siren alarm to something kinder to the ears, such as the soft rising chirps of birds, hinting you to gently rise from your restful slumber. You will wake feeling calmer.
- If you wake up before your alarm goes off, get the heck out of bed!!! Maybe its 10-20 mins earlier than your alarm going off, but get out of bed anyway! You will feel way less groggy, and overall jolly proud of yourself for not turning a blind eye to your already waking mind.
- 5,4,3,2,1, Do a count down as soon as you get up, like its a race to JUMP up out of bed, there ain't no going back after your countdown. A handy little tip from Mel Robbins Auther of the "5 Second Rule". As soon as you hear your alarm and you begin to open those wiery little eyes. Before that sneaky mind of yours says “just 5 more mins” interrupt by saying confidently 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and SPRING out of bed like its no one's business. You will feel exhilarated and proud that you are strong enough to conquer your sloth-like bed voice.
- Start the day with a warm cup of water. In many ancient traditions, such as Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Ayurveda, a glass of warm water is super nourishing for our insides first thing in the morning. Especially when it is soooo cold outside, it will warm you from the inside out! Benefits include: Replenished fluids, improvement of digestion, relief of congestion and it will leave you feeling calmer.
- DO NOT SCROLL… I repeat…DO NOT SCROLL! As soon as you turn off your alarm, your first reaction might be to pop on the gram. Well, I am telling you my friend, no. Just no. You might put yourself in a social media spiral where the first thing you do is consume your pretty little eyes with other peoples business and stories, however, the only story you should be thinking about is how fabulous of a day you are about to have.
- Incorporate a morning routine. Create a sweet little routine for yourself… commit to it for 5 days; Monday to Friday and treat yourself on the weekend to a sleep in, if you are able. [My morning routine is get up, wash face, brush teeth and hair, and practise yoga for 45-60 mins following a meditation of 10-15 mins, a short gratitude and manifestation prayer, and then I am on my merry old way to start the day. It sets me up on all levels; focus, mindset and mood. When I do not practise in the morning, I really feel its effects.] This tip has changed my life for the BEST! Yours could be anything from journalling to jogging. I trust you will find your own, that will work in perfect conjunction with you!
- Organise the day ahead the night before; clothes, food, bag, morning plan, so that as soon as you rise it is not something you have to think about! All you have to think about is being kind to yourself and enjoying the fruits the early morning has to offer.
- Have your super comfy PK gear on when you go to bed or maybe right next to your bed so in the morning as soon as you wake up you can jump out of bed and head straight to your practise/work.
@nataliecarusi practising in the black roamer crop, made using organic cotton. Add that touch of extra comfort to your mornings with our cotton yoga wear. You will not regret it. Shop it here.
If you know someone who could benefit from this information, feel free to share away!