The PK Purpose
Since our inception, our purpose at Pinky & Kamal has always been to be kind to the environment, your skin and ultimately, not compromise on comfort. This season we have incorporated some new fabrics into our collection that do just that whilst continuing to elevate and drive our sustainability mission forward. With each collection, we continue our enduring commitment to reduce our environmental impact and make the comfiest threads you’ve ever worn.
Hemp is one of the most diverse and environmentally friendly fabrics on earth, however, it is still considered a niche fabric. In general, hemp requires less water to grow, grows faster and in more volume than other natural fibres, purifies the air and regenerates the soil. However, hemp is not mass-produced like general cottons and other fabrics, hence the higher price point. At PK, we have always done our best to make our as pieces accessible for everyone as possible, whilst not compromising on sustainability, function or comfort.
Why We Heart Hemp
- Hemp fibres have a texture and strength similar to that of linen but also the softness of bamboo or cotton, in fact, hemp softens with every wash; getting even more comfy with age while not loosing its durability or shape.
- The resilience and durability of hemp may be its most attractive feature for us, we include hemp in hopes that you will keep your PK pieces for years to come and even hand them down or pass them onto a charity shop eventually, making them less likely to end up in landfill. However, if it does unfortunately end up in landfill, hemp is naturally biodegradable, so it will eventually break down and return to the earth.
- Hemp tends to keep its shape longer than other natural fabrics, when wash and care instructions are followed. Hemp also tends to shrink and crease comparably less too, again making it more resilient and durable than other comparable fabrics.
- Another reason why we heart hemp at PK HQ is because of its breathability. Hemp has an innate wicking ability which makes it significantly more breathable than other more accessible fabrics, like cotton, for example.
- Hemp is also highly absorptive, hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial. Unlike cotton, it is resistant against mould and does not retain body odour. Because hemp absorbs moisture, it is super useful when it comes to regulating our body temperature in both warm and cool climates.
- Hemp is as safe for your skin as it is for the environment. Hemp, like the bamboo we use for our Yoga Collection’s, is gentle on the earth as it does not require toxic chemical fertilisers, insecticides, herbicides or other hazardous chemical agents in order to grow, therefore making it safer for our ecosystems.
If you didn’t already, we hope you now love these durable and resilient little hemp fibres as much as we do! In celebration of our newest capsule drop and all that we have in store for PK to conclude the year, we want to take this moment to truely thank you for being a part of our journey. It is you who makes the purpose of our small business possible.
With love, PK.
written by Denise Battany.